Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Small naturebook

Mauri Kunnas 2018: Pieni luontokirja

Aaah! Spring! Well not winter any way. My favourite children's author has made a nature book.

The book starts with birds, because the summer isn't here until the swallows have arrived. There are many others that come sooner like larks, finches and cranes.

Then comes bugs, plants, trees get their own section since we are know for our forests. Berries are next, I don't think people utilize enough the berries we have.

Animals are the last section (I know: bugs are animals, too). This section covers mammals, reptiles (we have two: snakes and salamanders) and frogs.



The bugs have gain a new appreciation due to research showing
we need them, if we want to eat.
This is great book and it does not bother me one bit that the pictures are drawn. Even the photos are not always accurate. It is really hard to recognize a bird.  I have lived most of my life in the countryside and I have spent many hours watching the birds and plants. My dad even quizzes me about the 30 different type of trees he has on his land.

It would be sad if the kids in the cities never learned to tell the difference between different birds.



No comments:

Post a Comment